Lisa is a yoga and dance teacher offering movement and meditation practices that facilitate an authentic connection to body, mind, and spirit by incorporating acceptance, compassion, gratitude, and joy.
Lisa is a Faculty Yoga Teacher Trainer in the Kunga Yoga School at In Balance Yoga in Blacksburg, Virginia. She completed her 200-hour foundational yoga teacher training with Nicole Boyle in 2016 at In Balance Yoga in Blacksburg, Virginia and her 300-hour Kunga Yoga Service Leadership Yoga Teacher Training at the Wilmington Yoga Center in North Carolina in 2018.
Her passion and focus is offering the tools of yoga and movement practices to all populations and abilities, and has completed certifications in:
- Yin Yoga with Richard Gartner in May 2016, with Cindy Lunsford in November 2016, with Bernie Clark in June 2018
- Barkan Method Hot Yoga with Nicole Boyle in June 2016
- Vinyasa/Power Yoga:
- NuPowerYoga with Cindy Lunsford in March 2017
- 5Elements Vinyasa Flow with Noelle Whittington in August 2017
- Detox Vinyasa Yoga with Kristin Cooper-Gulak in April 2018
- Vinyasa and Power Flow with Noelle Whittington in May 2018
- Restorative Yoga with Colleen Dwyer in October 2016, with Noelle Whittington in July 2017
- Gentle Yoga and Meditation with Jessica Bichler in January 2018
- Special Populations and Therapeutic Yoga:
- Prenatal and Postpartum Yoga with Gracia Gimse McKinley in January 2017, with Heather Metzler in October 2017
- Kids Yoga with Jessica Bichler in February 2018
- Senior Yoga with Jamie Annette in June 2018
- Yoga Service Leadership: Yoga for PTSD & Special Populations with Kristin Cooper-Gulak in March 2018
- Treating Trauma Master Series with Ruth Buczynski, The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine in October 2018
- The Yoga Way: Toward Psychological Health & Wellbeing with Holle Black in July 2018
- Christina Phipps Foundation Gentle Yoga for Breast Cancer Patients, Survivors, and Caregivers with Beth Daugherty in February 2019
- Hands-on Assisting with Noelle Whittington in November 2017
- Anatomy of Yoga with Jessica Hartmann in September 2017
- Business of Yoga with Jessica Bichler in December 2017
- Elements of Dance with Pat Cohen, National Dance Education Organization in July 2017
- Thai Body Work (Thai Yoga Massage) with Fransisco Bermudez-Morales in February 2019
Lisa also studies classical ballet and other genres of dance. She teaches classical ballet to all ages as well as technique-based ballet barre fitness classes to all levels. She is a trained facilitator of Kunga Rhythmic Dance and is grateful to create and hold safe space for movement exploration. She believes dance and creative movement is for every body and infuses the elements of strength, balance, flexibility, breath, humor, love, and a deep knowledge of human anatomy and physiology into all of her classes.
Lisa received her BS in Biology from The College of William and Mary in 1996 and her MS in Immunology and Microbiology from Virginia Tech in 2002. She has been a teacher for over 22 years in a variety of disciplines including Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Oenology/Winemaking, Analytical Chemistry, and the Art of Movement. When she’s not in the studio, she loves being outdoors, being on the water, finding quiet spaces, and taking her yoga off the mat.
Yoga: Yin Yoga, Hot Yoga (Barkan Method), Vinyasa/Flow, Power Yoga, Detox Vinyasa, Restorative Yoga, Prenatal/Postpartum Yoga, Yoga for Seniors/Healthy Aging, Kunga 5Elements Vinyasa Flow, Gentle Yoga, Chair Yoga, Pool Yoga, Kids Yoga, Trauma-sensitive Yoga, Yoga for Cancer Patients and Survivors
Dance: Classical Ballet, Pointe, Kunga Rhythmic Dance
Thai Body Work: Thai Yoga Body Work by appointment
Fitness: Technique-based ballet barre fitness, Core-conditioning
Ordained Minister (ULC, AMM)
Private and group lessons available by request! Email: email@example.com